ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ever since I was little I've loved fibers. Especially visiting the higher end yarn shops- you know the ones. The ones where the cheapest skein of yarn is about 6 dollars... but they have soft mohair. Fuzzy fibers that feel like angel's kisses. Eyelashes, and metallics, and wools, and silks. I saw one skein today that made me drool and dream wistfully of owning it. I wouldn't make anything with it. It's too pretty for that. I'd just put it in a drawer and take it out to fondle every now and then. It was gold and red silk with cherry red glass beads spun into the twists. It was also 36 dollars. For less than a hundred yards. But it was so pretty...

I very seldom indulge my fiber lusts. For one thing, I hate having to go into a store and leave again without picking something out to take home. It's expensive. For the amount of knitting and crocheting I do the acrylics are my best choice. They wash and wear well, and they're easy to work with, and even though they are the plain jane next to the glamorous yarns they fit my budget well. Today I made a special exception to my rule.

There's one yarn that I fell hard for. It's a mottled sky blue with bright gold accents. The yarn is a ribbon-like one; about the width of a very narrow flat satin ribbon. It's smooth in my fingers. It was even on sale. On large needles it'll work up quickly; I'm making it an accent scarf. I'm not going to keep it, of course. My joy is in the creating of this; I wouldn't know how to wear it and I don't have the fashion for it.

But it's pretty. That's all that counts tonight.

No comments: