ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Monday, May 16, 2005

my heart
you held it in your hand from the minute you took my finger in your tiny hand
warm in my arms
protesting the cold, when I reposition you because you curl
my little kitten...

tight in a ball in my arms
pressing your body close to me
Mama's here
she has you tight now, little girl
and you'll never fall from the cradle
while I guard the night against those demons
the poison that touched my life will not know you
my heart
curl close to me and
know that love that comes in the darkness
and the heartbeat that winds it's way through your dreaming
will mean serenity and comfort to you

years from now
when some blue-eyed boy has broken your heart
come back to Mama and seek comfort in her arms again
no matter what storms drive you
it will always come back to this universal truth
the cry of a child
"mama, fix it!"

this morning you slept when I came to your side
and when I opened the porthole to reach in and say good morning
you grabbed my finger in both hands and held it to you
never once opening your eyes
if my finger moved, your forehead wrinkled
and your chin quivered
learn quickly, my love, that though Mama leaves and the cold returns...
Mama will always come back to you

You'll be the center of my life
as we become the center of your father's life
that's as it should be
I would not change this
I would not change you
You changed me

No comments: