ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The price of gas is getting too high, I think we can all agree on that. This morning I paid $3.94 a gallon to fill the tank. That was onbase, where the price of gas is cheaper. If it goes much higher we're going to have to cut back on every single non-essential trip out of the house. I don't know how we're going to juggle things if this continues for a long time.

At that, we're still more fortunate than a lot of others around here. People are starting to choose between gas, food, and medicine. A friend of mine is eligible for a food box every month, but it doesn't take into consideration that she's diabetic and unable to eat 75% of what they give her. We swap- she knows that we're struggling sometimes, and so she passes on the box to us. In return I make her takeout trays of stuff. Extra casserole, extra bread, handknit wool socks. We are fortunate.

Meat is expensive here. Produce isn't. Which makes it easier to try and eat healthy for me and my family. Milk would be rationed out carefully if not for WIC, which we requalified for in order to afford Robbie's formula. Which is even pricier.

Where is it going to end? Where will the prices ease up? I'm going to have to start thinking again of all the little ways to economize and save money. It will be interesting to see how the bottom line comes out. I read an article today that estimates that most households spend double what a meal actually costs by eating out. Takeout, fast food, convenience meals all add up. I'm going to start making large batches of things and freezing them again. With the heat around here in the summer, this will not only make my life a little easier but help stretch the food dollar. How much easier is it to defrost a meal or two in the morning and reheat it? The major cleanup only once a week? Run the microwave instead of the oven? Cut the energy bill, cut the grocery bill. Cut so many things. It's worth it.

No comments: