ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The second to last job I had before staying home to be a mother was over in Torrey Pines. It's a place famous (or infamous, depending on who you ask) for golfing. I must admit that I'm far more into the miniature golf game than the "real" golf. At least I used to be. Lately I'm starting to really come to terms with the features that draw people to fight over getting the best golf tee times. Part of it is the skill. There's something almost magical about being able to take a breath, center yourself, and make the little ball go from here to there and land as close as possible to the goal. Meditative, even. It makes me feel a yearning for this game as a good way to reclaim my own peace. In the middle of the busy day, when toddlers are screaming and newborns need tending and constant vigilance, where does a parent find their calm? I know it's easy enough to lose that calmness, but how do we find them again? And once you take up a hobby that allows you to have that, isn't it only normal to need the appropriate gear to go along with it? American Golf is a great site to visit to find out the courses near you, to give the gift of a game to a friend, or to find accessories.

No comments: