ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Thursday, March 15, 2007

One of the things that you do not want to see first thing in the morning is a set of flashing red and blue lights in the rear view mirror. It tends to wipe the cobwebs out of your brain immediately. Heartrate jumps up, brain goes into panic mode: What did I do just now? Why wasn't I paying attention? How long have these lights been following me?

It could have been worse. Apparantly if I had been going just a bit faster I would have been "reckless" and taken to jail. (The part about how I was going no faster than everybody in the evening hours goes can be left out, as it doesn't apply). My number came up this morning, I was the "lucky" winner of being the example to all the other drivers on base. A lesson to me. I'll take the lumps, pay the fine, attend whatever disciplinary measures come my way.

But will it change my behavior in any great form? Probably not. Not in the long run, when I get tailgated by irritated people for going only five miles above the limit. When I get honked at for failing to pull off on the shoulder and make a right turn on red at every legal -and not so legal- opportunity.

No comments: