ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas was great; exhaustion afterwards is less so. One tired tot and one less tired infant, and three adults taking it in turns to manage all of the household and childcare duties. We've struck a happy balance over here. Right now despite a too-early start, things are easing into a quiet morning. Everyone gets to do things they want to do. Nobody is feeling overwhelmed (except the 3 year old who learns that life is Not Fair) and said 3 year old is now exploring the freedom to nap. Put another way, she's been told that she needs to get some rest today. Not optional. She Will Sleep. Last night she went to bed overtired and exhausted, and got only enough rest to allow her body to jumpstart AWAKE at the unholy hour of 4-ish. Starting approximately at sunrise she began the screaming tantrums. The new restraining technique is working like a charm. My only regret is that I didn't get it right the first time. She's now experimenting with self-injury during tantrums- I don't think it's intentional, but it's a reaction to the overstimming. She sports a small bloody scratch on one cheek. On the other hand, that's not so bad when compared to the length and severity of the fit.

One of the rewards I let myself have to compensate for these tantrums is an extra cuddle with Robbie. I find that I need something comforting to ease the release of my own tension afterwards. Is there a sweeter way than a whif of fuzzy-baby-head? Than a smile given so completely and freely? I haven't found many so far. A hot cup of chai and some computer time and a cuddle with my infant son... heaven. Glancing in on the tired tot, exhausted and sleeping in her blanket nest... equally priceless. This too shall pass. It always does. And the other side will go on, similar to today but unique in it's own challenges.

No comments: