ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Friday, October 13, 2006

Another night, another morning, another chance for the toddler to squirm around and play with all her toys. Still no words, although she's getting closer and closer to having them. The "juice" that she was saying only a month ago has fallen by the wayside, replaced by more meaningful looks and grunts. I blame myself for this, of course.

See, the problem as I see it is that I respond too quickly to whatever she wants. She doesn't have a real need to form the words. She knows that mom will interpret and obey.

Am I too soft-hearted? Like my own mother admits that she was with me? Do I have it in me to be an authoritative parent? I think so. And yet I have an 18 month old child who doesn't have one word. Some variety of sounds, but no words. I constantly hear about kids less than a year who are speaking. It's depressing.

No comments: