ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pita. It's not just a pain in the ass around here. I may have finally figured out the optimal baking procedure for pita bread in this oven. Which is, as all bakers know, different for every oven, baker, set of ingredients... inspiring me to mutter evil thoughts under my breath every time I set out to make a batch.

No more. My secret? Butter. I have designated one butter stick as the greasing stick. I keep it in a baggie in the fridge and pull it out only for greasing the hot baking sheet between rounds. It sizzles. It gives off a nice buttery aroma. It makes the dough no longer stick to the sheet. I gave up on trying to mist the sheet with water- I couldn't get the mist right and the water didn't sizzle. Who am I to argue with results? Especially such yummy ones.

Dinner tonight is yet to be decided. Want to cast your vote? The choices tonight are:

steak and wild rice
beefy taco pockets
broiled pork chops and saffron rice with buttered carrots

No comments: