ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Monday, September 04, 2006

confessions of a sugar junkie

Yesterday I went to Albertson's for some baby food. As I walked from the juice to the baby aisle I had to cross Ice Cream Land, and I impulse-bought a carton. It was caramel cheesecake. It was delicious. I finished the whole thing before the sun went down this evening.

For some reason this weekend has been one carb and sugar loaded binge for me. I don't have any urge to eat anything good for me. Say, like dinner or lunch or even a halfway decent continental breakfast. Make it deep-fried and sugar-coated. I also picked up a box of churros while I was out. That lasted only slightly longer than the ice cream. For those of you who don't know, a churro is a waffle-like stick that is rolled in cinnamon and sugar and fried. And it's crispy and it's good and it is so addictive that I'm trying to tell myself that Costco won't carry it. I may stand a chance of not having this in the house and eating my weight in them this month.

I don't usually binge on sugar like this. Shades of the past, family history, and all that. I'm remembering the stories of my great-grandmother and her mother, dying of diabetes before insulin therapy was available. Chocolate really can kill you. When I was about 10 I worked out that since diabetes ran in the family and I would likely be "catching it" I'd better learn to live without 3-inch frosting on my cupcake.

The upside to all of this is that I lost my sweet tooth by the time I was twenty. Except for sporadic candy forays, and the sugar binge, I don't go for really sweet things anymore. The downside is that occassionally I find myself bingeing. My eating "thing" mixes it up with the sugar "thing" and they go midieval on my ass.

A big thank you to the buyer of today's featured selections on Amazon! You made my day, and I know you'll enjoy your purchase. I loved that series.

No comments: