ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Friday, September 08, 2006

the knittingiest lady

An older gentleman of my acquaintance tells me that I'm "the knittingiest lady" he's ever seen. He also says I remind him of his wife, which sounds a lot nicer than it sounds. From what I hear of the lady, she's quite the Wonderful Wife.

This morning while running errands I had to pick up another pound of black yarn for the big blankie I'm making my friend simi. As I passed through the yarn aisle my brain was snagged by a certain shade of baby yarn in a variegated soft color scheme. It's mostly blue and green but there are hints of pink and lavender in it. I had to buy two skeins... for a full-size baby blanket. So somebody is having a boy. It's not often that I come to this sort of "directed" purchase, and every time I've ever had the spirit move me this strongly over baby blankets it's been finished just in time for the baby.

I swear, the majority of the time I haven't even met the mothers of these children until I'm almost done the blanket. It's wierd. Seriously wierd. I don't mind too much though; it's not like I'm stockpiling baby furniture, or hoarding slivers of soap. I'm serving a purpose by using knitting to quiet my mind and center my thoughts. It's meditation. It's prayer. It's a really good way to lower my blood pressure and deal with insomnia. And at the end, after I've WORN OUT a pair of aluminum needles -yes, I actually wear them out, between the speed of the motion and the clenching in my white-knuckled fists some nights- I have something to show for it besides a bad case of tendonitis in both wrists.

Somebody's having a baby. They're in my thoughts tonight.

1 comment:

John said...

Wow, what a great way to calm the mind, "knowing" that there is a baby coming. My grandmother was the same way - she had a sixth sense about things that were on the way.