ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Every now and again I start feeling like the suburban housewife gets thin and the neurotic young woman I used to be gets yanked into the spotlight. Not a place I like to be, unless it's completely under my control. These would be the same issues that lead me to snap at my husband, shrill at my daughter, and spend a lot of time staring at an empty computer screen.

How do you fight it? It's easy when everything happens on schedule as planned with few unexpected deviations to your day. When everything becomes dependent on the smooth transition from one activity to the next. One variation, one slip leads to another, the entire days plans fly out the window, and the next thing you know you're caught in the snowball slide from hell.

I still don't know the answers. I spent years in therapy, months in psychiatric hospitals. I've ignored it and dealt with it. I've sat awake at nights wrestling with the same questions that hit me in broad daylight. I don't know which is better.

Look at myself in the mirror in the morning. Who is going to win today? The housewife or the other one? Or will it be an even earlier version? A little girl still so scared she can't come out of her hidey hole?

Does more therapy help or does more chemical interference? Drug the problem and watch it go away? I wish it were that easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if there's an easy answer to that, but I totally empathize. Personally, I'm currently working on understanding enough about the neurotic young thing I used to be to salvage what was good in her instead of repressing her completely, while figuring out how to get through or past the stuff that threw her for so many loops. But the suburban housewife (and the cool, competent professional which I alternately play) is only a role. I'm not sure they're enough. You're more than that. You're an artist, a writer, a thinker, a person. Vulnerable, imperfect, scared sometimes, cranky sometimes. If your current life requires that you stuff those parts of yourself away in order to fulfill the role, they're going to creep out somewhere if the pressure builds enough. I think you can be a good wife and a good mama and a real person too. Try to let yourself.

Therapy can help you figure out which parts you want to integrate and which parts you need to let go of, and just give you a place to blow off some of the pressure before you explode. Drugs may help, if what you're stuffing is like the stuff I've done that with. Writing, if that's your thing, might also help a lot. And friends can help. Talk as much as you want. Here, or anywhere else you need to.

Anonymous said...

I personally believe that in addition to the good thoughts pollyanna said - and they were very good... but a person cannot hide all her life. You need to take an issue you are having trouble with, look at it personally and upclose ... and deal with it.
Face it... be honest, make amends, or listen to amends, and move forward. You can't possibly be trudging forward when so many things lie in your path. Things you need to finish, sift through, forgive and love, rekindle and refresh. Like spring cleaning - go through EVERYTHING ... clean it up.
Move forward and give your family the love they deserve - and lots of it.