ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Sunday, May 28, 2006

I must have been extra good this week. My daughter not only allowed me to sit through an entire church service, but she happily went back into the nursery so that I could attend Rector's Forum afterwards. The topic was the Anglican Communion. I did learn several things:

the major problems affecting us today seem to have started 40 years ago, when heresy was permitted in the American Episcopal Church. Homosexuality, despite the media frenzy, is really a minor point in the entire issue. And in America, it seems, you don't actually have to follow the accepted doctrine of the Anglican Church or preach the gospel, as long as your Bishop looks the other way.

I'm not sure about my own personal views of these things. It's complicated. And highly personal. And although this blog is, by nature, a personal forum, I don't feel that I should share my views just yet. This is the sort of thing that has to be considered carefully before I decide anything out loud. This is the sort of thing that causes heresy and schisms and religious wars and Hallmark Holidays which are the only thing a community can agree to hold sacred. But as soon as I figure this out, and maybe sleep on it, I'll be sure to post all about it.

No comments: