ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Saturday, May 13, 2006

One year perspective

I found my child
At the end of a long cold sleep
I woke to a polaroid picture
my husband, grinning from ear to ear
as he says-
"She's perfect"
"She could fit in my hand"
At the end of a long weekend I managed to go down the hall
to find my daughter in an isolette
You couldn't even breathe on your own
I found my child
spent weeks learning you
what you looked like, what you sounded like
how you held my finger with your fist
I found you
pumping milk day after day
no more milk but the child grows
Our daughter thrives
as the baby fat swelled your skin and made dimples rise
we brought you home
loved you
cuddled you
held you in the darkness of the night
those first nights, when none of us slept
we found you
where you had always been
in our hearts

No comments: