ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

ACK

I hate applique. I really, really, dislike it. My dislike for this is only a little weaker than my dislike of spinach, which despite the hype generated by Popeye the Sailor Man never gave me super powers.

It's proven to me that I must be growing up some more. My biggest problem with applique is that of patience. I just don't have the endless patience to sit there and carefully needle-turn under the seam allowance, place countless tiny invisible stitches, and spend upwards of one half hour on one half inch leaf. Yet, over the past two days I've successfully appliqued four flower blocks. Today, if my patience holds out, I'm going to be applique-ing the final, center block of this piece. Which is a complex piecing of many little bits of cloth, several of which are a dark olive green that does not show the water soluble blue marker to good effect. Which may be a problem as I'm sort of counting on that marker to give me a seaming line that will result in a flower with recognizable leaves, calyxes, and buds. Instead of the Creature that Ran Amok in the Produce Aisle.

That would make an awfully cool quilt though. All the best creatures from the b-grade horror flicks. Tentacles of shiny silver lame, carefully stitched down against a matte black background. Something tells me I should stop this post now, before I get into trouble.

No comments: