ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Friday, July 14, 2006

Off in the hinterlands

A fun trip through the back country roads and the wilds of Berks County, where live the wild and heathenish people who- gasp- still farm. With, like, tractors that are smaller than a barn. And real cows. Grazing placidly in a meadow, where black yappy dogs run around to wag their tails and sniff the visitors. We took Tiff to Reninger's farmer's market, and the Wooden Bridge dry goods store, and the Bestest Cheesesteak Shop in the state, and then we went to the Kutztown U bookstore. Cause our commemorative t-shirts had worn out.

I tell you, I really don't need more needlework on my pile of Stuff to Do Before I Die, but they had just enough packages of an embroidered southern belle with parasol and flowers and a big swishy skirt (packs of quilt blocks, doncha know?) that I could get them and squirrel them away to make for Tiffany for when she's older. The first rule of needlecrafts is that if you once see something that's completely perfect for you/someone you love, if you don't buy it there on the spot you'll never see it anywhere for the rest of your life.

I'm feeling, well, happily domestic at the moment. Not sure why. Maybe it's the sweet baby-head smell I got to cuddle this afternoon before she took a nap in my arms. Maybe it's that time of month and I'm all hormonal and stuff. Maybe I should shut up and just enjoy this moment while it's here.

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Is that Reningers near a Reningers Antique fair by any chance? We lived near one in FL and MAN was that thing amazing when it was an extravaganza weekend!

Fireflower said...

no, but it probably shares some characteristics. This Reningers is a farmer's market/indoor flea market, known among many generation of college students for being one of the few places where you can walk in, past the produce baskets, and buy a custom carved tombstone.... (I don't know, I don't WANT to know, and frankly, I'd be scared to find out...)