ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunday Review

This week my brain took a bit of a vacation from the type of book that requires thought. I don’t mean that as a denigration of this author or of the books- I love her books, and I love her style. They’re great. I can’t get enough of it. If Terry Pratchett is the heroin of my funny bone this lady is the chocolate to my PMS days. I call the harlequin-type romances “brain candy” because they’re all the same under the veneer of “names have been changed to protect the author against copyright infringement”. There’s a type of mystery novel that falls somewhere in the middle.

A mix of comedy and mystery, short and sweet, I can read one of these babies in about four hours. It’s pleasantly numbing, because there’s no hard violence or sex or reality. Real-life situations, but nothing to over dramatize it. It’s definitely not Grisham or Steele, but it’s a damn good book. Oops. That should be “darn good book”.

This week’s selection is the second book in this series. The first one, Crewel World, was not available at my local library when I was there on Friday searching out stuff to distract me from cleaning. If you’re new to the series, read the first one first if you must, but if you read Framed in Lace first you can rest assured that the name of the murderer is not revealed (from book one). You know what I mean. You’re intelligent people. So go out and read a book, darnit!


No comments: