ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Friday, April 27, 2007

Flour is dusted over my nose and forehead in a way that brings back to mind all those frazzled housewife commercials. Today's mission is to do weekend baking and clean the bathroom(s). I'll settle for one of the two, although both should really be cleaned.

so I'll do baking. Maybe I'll be able to get another handful of weeds out of the front flowerbed. I don't hold out much hope of that though. It's possible that the only way to really make progress on that is to pull two weeds everytime I go past it. One weed, two weeds, three weeds, BREAKOUT! The climate is right for grass fleas here, to which I am allergic, and the creeper-weeds in the front bed are also things spawning allergy-causing things in me. I touch them, I itch. After ten minutes or so I really itch. Whenever I try to do intensive work I have to give up at the 12.5 minute mark or so and throw myself in the shower. A COLD shower. And scrub with antibacterial soap and scrub and scrub. Then I lay down on a couple of towels and apply antiseptic-type creams over my hands and arms and other bits.

What am I baking today? I made a tray of sandwich rolls and a sandwich log. A sandwich log, in case you forget, is a loaf of bread that's been patted out flat after the first rising and spread with cheese, shredded lunchmeat, and rolled up into a log for the second rise and bake. Turns out looking like french bread, until you slice it. When warm, the meat and cheese is all runny. When cold, it's back to the solid form. Either way it's an instant sandwich. Slice and eat- unless you want mayo or mustard spread lightly on it. And that's very yummy. I'm sure there are other names for it, I'm sure that there are a hundred ways to do it. But this is mine. I can use it with leftover shredded pork and it's savory, I can use it with honey ham and swiss. I can even slice it thin and broil it lightly to toast the top.

Damn, I'm making myself hungry right now.

No comments: