ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Wait, wait, don't tell me.

For some strange reason people are starting to read this site. Or else one person is out there hitting the refresh button obsessively. Does this mean that I've got readers? Or does this mean I should start looking over my shoulder whenever I leave the house.

Yesterday I went down to the Kings County Swap Meet. It was fun. A bit disconcerting, especially when I was signing in as a seller and the guy running the booth said that yeah, he knew I was coming, because "friends" of mine had told him to watch for me.

Friends? I have friends? When did this happen? I was so used to being an anonymous member of a community- in Maryland, in San Diego, I was fairly anonymous. Just a face in the crowd. Easy to hide. Easier not to make waves or attract notice. This is what small town america is really like.

I mentioned my intent to do the swap meet to two or three people. It seems that these people have Connections. Is this like the rural mafia? Is there a committee of like minded women out there building a file on me? Young wife, child, affectionate husband, dresses appropriately. She still hasn't planted her garden, but her trash is out on the curb every Friday and she hauls her recycling over to the trailer so she can reclaim the CRV on every redeemable container. Plus: no yappy dogs, no loud music, her garden is a mess but the family is neat and she tends to pay cash.

The scary part to this is that I grew up with the mennonite mafia. Same sort of file, same sort of informal "know everything about everyone and never forget it". So far the only difference I'm seeing is that I'm not being asked "Are you related to...?" every time I walk out the front door.

Hmmph.
Should have moved here sooner.

2 comments:

Wildflower said...

Your days sound so much like when my children were two and three ... days like that which lazily just go by - busy with all the chores and duties you go about doing mindlessly... and lovingly.

Emil said...

Your increase in traffic stats may have something to do with me adding your feed into my RSS reader (rather than reading it using my browser).