ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sew there.

I've been working on a jumper-type dress for a couple of weeks now. The first incarnation of this was taken from a knit jumper that I've worn out. Tried it on- the new one doesn't fit. Obviously because the original was knit and worn thin.. the new one is neither. So I opened a seam and installed a zipper, which only solved the problem a bit, and resulted in my serious consideration of cutting the damn thing off rather than try to wriggle my way out of it.

Now? I'm blending the original concept with another one of my favorite lounging around styles. Add the skirt portion to a coordinating tshirt. So far this is almost proven to work just fine. Would be easier if I had full use of my limbs today- the recent windstorms plus dampness plus a slight chill in the night have rendered me all stiff and achy.

The creative process would be faster if I got out my machine, but I'm enjoying being able to sit down and do this slowly by hand. It keeps my fingers nimble and I've really got to consider the placement of each seam -this has proven highly effective at preventing the ripping out of bad seams, which is something I personally hate doing. Another plus is that the light in the living room is only good enough to really do this for a couple hours a day. This is a plus because it makes me have to put the thing down and think about it some more.

If the current incarnation works out, I may have acheived a wonderful housedress pattern, one that is "up to date" and easy to wear and doesn't look like I've spent the whole day in curlers.

No comments: