ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? I know this is not typical for my family. I can't count how many books I've read in the past month, not counting re-reads. The Boy doesn't read as much; but he has a job to do during the day in addition to his work around the house and playing with the Toddler. Our families read; I know my mother-in-law reads lots of books and certainly has more than the average. My mother reads maybe a book every ten days (or at least she sure does when I'm in control of her reading list). My daughter loves her books and has started to try to read them herself, despite not knowing how to read beyond remembering the words. Books are such an integral part of our lives that it boggles my mind that there are people in the world who don't read to their kids, that don't have a stack of books next to the bed, under the bed, and mixed up hopelessly in the pile of clean laundry that's not really clean anymore, but it's not "dirty" enough to go into the wash again.

Books, people. Read something, if you don't read a book. Read a newspaper. Read blogs. Read the online news if you're too tech-cool to be seen with a paperback. Read in public, read behind closed doors. The more you do it the easier it will become, I promise! And there's enough out there that something, somewhere will relate to you. A book is the perfect date, the perfect friend. Yes, there are bad choices; there are bad choices in every aspect of living. There are good ones too.

I just want people to enjoy this like I do. Is that such a hard thing?

No comments: