ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Monday, October 08, 2007

Home security has been a big thing for me since, well, forever. At least since we lived in a little hole-in-the-wall in the bad parts of Baltimore. Since the one morning I woke up to find some "person" (and I use the term loosely) climbing in through my bedroom window. It took me a very long time to either feel secure or to sleep through the night after that.

There are so many common sense things you can do to keep your home secure -and to have that lovely feeling of being safe when you close your eyes. You can put up cameras. You can triple lock your windows and doors. More ideas can be found at Security Camera. One thing I used when the Boy was deployed last time was to take one of the Toddler's over-sensitive musical toys and prop it behind the front door. Anyone making an effort to get in would have to come through that. We lived on a second story at the time and that was another safety feature for me.

So many dangers in this world. So easy to go overboard and lock yourself in a bubble. I don't take unnecessary risks. I always lock the car and roll up the windows, and in the last place I lived despite parking under the motion activated light in the parking lot my car was stolen twice. It's been broken into in the past 5 years about 4 times. Not including those two fully-stolen times. Why is this? I don't know. But since I've owned the new Blue Car, nothing. No thefts, no changes in behavior. Who knows. I've only had one instance of home invasion though, and Lord Willing I will never face that again. We live in a better class of neighborhood since then.

No comments: