ss_blog_claim=184bd2836e28b33d25afef8250a42552

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

What's on your iPod? It says a lot about you, like what reading matter you keep in the bathroom, or what book is shoved under your bed, or what is eventually unearthed from the scary depths of your purse. Your iPod is a private thing, or it should be. Your own personal musical life. Playlists, artists, podcasts. What sort of thing remains on there, no matter what else comes and goes?

Right now my iPod is filled with Blue Collar Comedy. With Engvall, Foxworthy, and the rest. I've still got a few (three) music albums on there. I have a whole list of News from Lake Woebegon. I have SModcast. What does this say about me?

I don't really care. The only person who knows what's on it is me. The only person who ever listens to it is me, because I'm not counting the passengers in my car that get inflicted with these things on a regular basis. I fall asleep with my iPod tucked neatly under my pillow, with one earbud feeding me sweet laughter and the other ear free to listen for the sounds that my family needs me. All I need. And what does that say about me as a person? That of all the songs I gravitate towards when I need to drown in pain and emotion, when my depression grabs me with steel hooks in the back of my brain and make it an almost impossible effort to put clean clothes on or brush my hair, I keep going back for the laughter. If you don't laugh in this life you'll cry. I've done my share of crying. I want to fill the coming years with laughter. Tears will always be there. Send in the clowns.

No comments: